Friday, August 22, 2008

Fear

"Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself”: FDR’s First Inaugural Address

What does that mean? What is fear? Hearing this statement means a lot to me now. I have overcome a lot of fears. I am more sure of myself having done so. I know with several things because I am not afraid, I will be able to stand up for myself. Going into certain life situations I am able to focus on what I want and this helps avert the attention from the fear of what I don't want.

Fear is an adjective, a state of being. To define it by saying it means to be afraid simply changes the word but not the state of being. A visit to the dictionary defines each word using the other, so I'm afraid this time we don't get as much from the dictionary as I had hoped for. The dictionary did offer up a little by concluding that it was a state of being. Now, if you remember back I have posted before on the topic of our thoughts and our ability, and right, to control them. This being said fear is an emotion that we choose, whether it is done consciously or not.

To choose to live in fear, we are choosing to live with our glass half empty. Can you truly have a positive perspective and outlook on life if you are living in fear? What does you fear stem from? The unknown, a lack of knowledge, a previous experience, lack of control, because someone else had a bad experience? Rather than putting the focus on alleviating the fear, you must first focus on what is causing the fear. Once you have established this you will find more ways to help eliminate your fears.

I have learned that knowledge is power, and you cannot fear if you possess this power of knowledge. To simply accept what you have been told, and then fear that which may come with it, is to allow someone else to direct your path. To look fear boldly in the face and take all the necessary steps to eliminate it you become a more powerful and knowledgeable person. As you take down one fear you may experience a domino effect, it becomes easier with each challenge.

To fear is healthy, to live in fear is not. When we feel those feelings of fear it is simply a challenge from our subconscious to do the work to put our mind at ease.

No comments: